Garage is important for parking the car securely in a home. In fact, they are needed for all kinds of reasons – from storing objects, to doing home projects, playing apart from simply keeping the car. Perhaps that’s why garage doors are designed to be sturdy and effective. However, garage doors can also be dangerous. That’s why we at Seattle Garage Door Experts would like to share simple tips for garage door safety for Seattle residents.
First and foremost, keep it safe. Ensure that the garage door opener is always out of the reach of small children. You don’t want them to be trapped inside.
- Seattle Garage Door Experts recommend that you get garage doors inspected at least once a year by a professional.
- Explain the right way to operate garage doors to older children or teens. If you are using an automatic garage door, ensure that your children don’t play with door remote controls.
- A number of garage door accidents are caused due to garage doors closing over someone or something. The best way to avoid this is to invest in a door opener with reverse mechanism.
- To protect your property and for the safety of your children, always check the door’s release mechanism at least twice a month. Test it manually, by lifting off the door through the handles. In case you witness a resistance, call a professional.
- The door opener’s reversing mechanism should be checked every month. For this purpose, place a 2×4 board in door’s path. If the door doesn’t reverse upon contact, call a professional at Seattle Garage Door Experts to get this sorted out.
- Garage door should be inspected every month. Check if the springs, cables, pulleys or rollers are working fine. Look for any kind of wear and tear on your garage door in Seattle.
- Test garage door openers’ emergency release feature at least once a month. This can be beneficial if someone attempts a robbery or is stuck inside.
- Avoid damaging the opener. Before operating it, ensure that the door locks are disabled and no ropes or cables are in the way.
- When you are going for a vacation, unplug the garage door opener unit. This will make the door un-operational through remote and therefore, no one would break-in.
- In case of damage to cables or springs, always call a professional since improper handling can cause breakage or injury.